One of the best resources you already have is a ton of free games for kids available online. We rounded up a few of our favorites that check off both the educational and fun boxes when it comes to activities to keeps kids occupied at home.
Free Online Games For Toddlers
- Counting Pizza Party: Parents may worry that very young children have too much screen time without playing online games but it’s more about the quality of the program than the format.
- Boris The Magician: To help develop basic computer skills like using the mouse and directing the cursor, have children play Boris The Magician. This very simple game encourages kids to click on the boxes to see Boris’s next trick.
- Learning the Shapes: The best online games for kids encourage them to practice the skills they gain back in the real world. In the game Learning the Shapes, children match and recognize shapes before moving on to a coloring exercise.
Free Online Games For Preschool Kids
- Scholastic Learn at Home: One of the most thoroughly researched at home school programs is offered on the Scholastic website and is a big favorite among teachers. Not only do they use high-quality reading materials and games developed with clear learning objectives in mind but they also provide complete lesson plans from a stimulus or inspiration text right through to games and activities to support the concept being taught. The resources are organized from preschool all the way to Grade 9.
- CBeebies: This kids programming site from the British Broadcasting Corporation is designed for kids aged 0-6 but with characters like Sarah and Duck, and The Numtums, it’s especially favored by the preschool crowd. You’ll find educational shows and a range of games featuring their favorite CBeebies personalities.
- ABCMouse: Technically, this site is one you have to pay for, but they offer a 30-day free trial which may be all you need. The activities are suitable for children aged 2-8 and include Reading, Math, Science, and Art.